Transition Specialist $18-$23 per hour
- Minimum of three (3) years of recent successful teaching experience at the secondary level
- Background in special education and transition practices at the secondary level
- Possess a valid state driver’s license
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough understanding of IDEA and transition planning for students with disabilities
- Thorough knowledge of community-based programs, school-to-work programs and agency linkages
- Ability to work collaboratively with students, parents, educators, administrators, employers and agency representatives
- Possess outstanding organizational and communication skills
- Ability to provide leadership for teachers in transition-related issues
- Ability to provide professional learning related to transition
- Possess a positive attitude
- Ability to listen, communicate and work well with a diversity of groups and individuals
Plan, coordinate, deliver, and evaluate transition education and services at the school in conjunction with other educators, families, students, agency representatives, and other community members.
- Collaborate with Secondary Special Education Coordinator as needed
- Collaborate with Vocational Rehabilitation school dedicated counselor to coordinate services
- Collaborate with Project SEARCH coordinator to sustain and expand the program.
- Collaborate with the Parent Mentor to provide learning opportunities for parents.
- Collaborate with Interagency Transition Council to sustain community supports for families.
- Provide transition training for all middle and high school special education teachers.
- Develop a plan for transition assessment implementation.
- Provide transition-related information to families.
- Assist families in the Medicaid waiver application process.
Assessment and Career Counseling
- Identify and refer students for vocational assessment
- Coordinate the development of career awareness and explore activities as part of the career counseling process
Duties and Responsibilities:
- the Transition Coordinator is responsible for the coordination of transition
Activities within a team comprised of the student, parent/guardian, educators, and service Providers, to ensure that transition activities and services are addressed and implemented
- Facilitates transition programming (administers career skill and interest inventories, Conducts career exploration activities, and provides vocational programming) for students who are eligible for special education services.
- Established transition goals and objectives.
- Acts as a liaison with local Transition Coordinating Council.
- Works closely with High School and Middle School Administrators, teachers, and
Guidance counselors to facilitate transition programming.
- Networks with all appropriate community agencies and organizations.
Attends IEP meetings in the role of Transition Coordinator.
- Ensures that the IEP team develops and implements the transition outcomes if requested Instructional areas and services needed for students with disabilities.
- Works closely with special education teachers and students to meet transition needs.
- Coordinates school and community work-based learning opportunities.
- Identifies job placements.
Monitors student job performance based on student need as designated in the IEP.
- Coordinates the teaching of daily living skills.
- Develops and maintains a working relationship with businesses, agencies, and
Organizations which provide post-secondary services for students with disabilities.
- Communicates with parents, students, staff, community/adult service providers and Agencies about issues related to the successful transition of special education Middle and High School students, ages 14-21, into post-secondary adult life.
- Serves as a resource to families, parents, and students in accessing transition services as well as providing information about transition topics.
- Keeps records of appropriate documentation during the transition process.
Works with Office of Vocational Rehabilitation and guidance counselors to assist parents and students with the post-secondary enrollment process as requested
For immediate consideration submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your availability